Saturday, November 15, 2014

Maca spice chocolate


OK so this is a spiced hot chocolate I ripped off from a boutique tea manufacturer. Basically, you can love chai. You can love hot chocolate. But if you put a bit of ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves into your hot chocolate to try and make a spiced version, you'll be disappointed.
That's where maca comes in. Many people make claims about maca - that it's an endocrine regulator, that it's good for what ails you... I have no idea. All I know is that it has an earthy taste that marries the flavours of spices and chocolate and creates a drink that's thick without being full of cream, energising without being full of caffeine (I believe chocolate contains some caffeine, but you know what I mean), full of flavour without being full of sugar.
So my recipe is to mostly fill a jar with the best coacoa powder you can find ( I bow to the Dutch when it comes to all things chocolate), add a couple of teaspoons of maca, and then add maybe two teaspoons of cinnamon and one each of nutmeg and cloves. Then give it both a shake and a stir - shaking alone leaves you with a clump of unmixed powder in the middle of the jar - make some hot chocolate and adjust the flavours to taste.
I have a complicated rigmarole of toasting the powder in the saucepan, adding a little water and boiling it til it's thick, then adding milk (soy milk in my case), then boiling it up a couple of times until the whole drink is quite thick. I'm not sure how necessary all the steps are, so if you have any insights, please let me know. Also, too much maca = disgusting, so be wary.

No comments:

Post a Comment